Many people are interested in the process of growing mushrooms but don’t know where to start.
Growing mushrooms is a great money-making opportunity, and there’s no better time than now. You can start by learning how mushrooms are grown for a successful mushrooms farming business.
Before growing some delicious mushrooms, you must know how they’re cultivated. You’ll need to provide them with the right environment and make sure you understand the process.
Also read: Agricultural Business For High Profits – 10 Best Ideas
What is a mushroom?
Mushrooms are fungi that grow in damp, dark areas. We can find mushrooms in forests and on rotting. They have a thick, fleshy body with tiny holes called gills on the underside of the cap.
We can eat mushrooms raw or cooked, or you can grind them into powder to make a mushroom soup base.
These are some of the popular edible mushrooms worldwide:
- White Button Mushroom
Why is mushroom popular?
Mushrooms are grown as it is one of the most popular and nutritious vegetables in the world. People use it as ingredients in many dishes, like soups, salads, pasta, and stir-fries.
Mushrooms are a popular meatless alternative because of their rich, umami flavour and meaty texture. Unlike most natural plant-based proteins, the mushroom protein includes all nine necessary amino acids.
What is the current market demand for mushrooms?
The demand for mushrooms is increasing at a rapid pace. The market demands are high due to the health benefits and the meat-like texture of mushrooms.
The nutritional content of these fungi is very high, and they are also low in calories. The low calories yet high nutritional content makes them a popular choice among people on a diet or who want to lose weight.
- 25 Must Have Gardening Tools – Complete List!
- Gardening as an Alternative Side Hustle
- Top 10 Most Profitable Vegetables Easy To Grow and Sell
How do mushrooms grow?
Mushrooms originate from spores that can’t be seen with the human eye, but they are necessary for the growth of mushrooms. Instead of soil, these spores rely on organic materials such as sawdust, grain, straw, or wood chips for sustenance and reproduction.
The term “spawn” refers to combining spores and these nutrition sources.
The spawn is responsible for developing mushrooms’ microscopic, white, threadlike bodies, known as mycelium. The mycelium grows before anything resembling a mushroom pushing its way through the soil.
Applying the spawn to a growing medium will result in a far higher yield of mushrooms than spreading spores. In some instances, we can use straw or cardboard, while other option may be logs or wood chips, or a mixture of materials such as straw, corncobs, and cocoa seed hulls.
Other Articles :
What is the condition and where to grow mushrooms?
You need a dark place with a moist surface to grow on grow mushrooms. You can use wood chips or straw for your substrates and make sure it is kept wet by spraying it with water every day. Mushrooms need to be grown in temperatures below 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29 degrees Celsius), or they will not grow well.
How mushrooms are grown? Step by step guides.
- Obtain mushrooms spores or spawn.
- Buy mushroom spawn online or in a home gardening store to get started. You can purchase mushroom spawn on its own or as part of a complete oyster mushroom kit.
- Prepare mushroom substrates.
- Cut corrugated cardboard into pieces that are approximately the same size and a few inches square.
- Place the cardboard in a bucket and weigh it down with a large item.
- Pour boiling water over the cardboard to thoroughly soak it.
- Place a lid on the container and set it aside for eight hours to cool.
- Use antibacterial soap to clean your hands.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as you possibly can
- Inject mushroom spores or spawn into your substrate. This process is also known as “inoculation”.
- Stack the cardboard squares inside a food-grade plastic bag. As you arrange the layers, sprinkle a small amount of spawn between each layer.
- Put the substrate in a warm dark place for a few weeks until your mycellium completely colonizes the substrates. The surface or the outer layer of the substrate will turn white when this happens.
- Make holes in the sides of the bag and a couple more in the bottom to allow for water to drain out. Mushrooms require air to grow swiftly and consistently. Otherwise, carbon dioxide buildup will prevent fruiting from occurring.
- Spray the substrates with mist spray to keep it moist.
- After a few days, the mushroom will start to emerge. It will grow rapidly for the next few days if conditions are met. Hold the substrate and twist the stalk off from the base to harvest carefully.
- Spawn will continue producing mushrooms for three to four months. Continue to harvest mushrooms until they cease emerging and keep the substrate mildly damp.
How to make money by selling mushrooms?
According to profitableplants.com, Wholesale prices for oyster mushrooms are now approximately $6 per pound. A 200-square-foot growing space may provide 800 pounds of mushrooms every crop.
Here are latest price updates on mushroom.
There are many ways to make money by selling mushrooms. One way is to sell them at a farmer’s market; another way is to sell them online.
You can also grow mushrooms on your own property and then sell them. If you have the right climate and space, this can be a really profitable business for you.